Painful or Impacted Wisdom Tooth
We use the latest technology for a successful and painless wisdom tooth removal.
Removal of Wisdom Teeth In Chicago
Wisdom teeth are the last molars to emerge at the posterior of the mouth i.e. in the rear corners of both sides of the upper and lower dental arch. Unlike other teeth, they appear between the age of 17 to 30 years of age after the full set of 28 permanent teeth are already in their place. They are four in number and it is not uncommon to have a single wisdom tooth developing or none throughout the individual’s life. The eruption of wisdom teeth is meant to go smoothly and hassle-free, however, there are instances that they surface partially leaving a flap of gum over them or over-erupt through the gums and appear too long. If one is looking for removal of a wisdom tooth they can visit TDS The Dental Specialist to get effective treatment for wisdom tooth extraction.
Causes of Problematic Wisdom Teeth
- A small jaw that does not possess enough space to facilitate proper wisdom teeth development. In such cases, the wisdom teeth either erupt irregularly or cause impaction (i.e. get stuck in the gums or develop at).
- Improperly aligned wisdom teeth that harm the nearby healthy teeth. If the tooth comes through at an awkward angle, dental cleaning becomes more difficult.
When To Have Wisdom Teeth Removed?
Wisdom teeth removal is recommended to fix a current issue or prevent future problems linked to the teeth. Usually, it is necessary if it causes pain or any other complications. It is recommended in the following cases:
Cavity– An impacted wisdom tooth that is difficult to keep clean can allow the food debris and bacteria to stagnate around the gum and cause infection. Pain, inflammation, bad-smelling breath (halitosis), and soreness of the jaw then develop. Extraction of the severely decayed wisdom tooth can help prevent the spread to the neighbouring teeth.
Cysts– These forms from the build-up of fluid and gas in the infected jawbone lying around the impacted wisdom tooth. They may be of varying sizes and may require wisdom tooth removal to eliminate the infection and present its further spread.
Gum Disease– As the person is not able to properly clean the impacted wisdom tooth; dental plaque is formed in the region of the wisdom teeth. When it is left untreated, gum disease can develop. Wisdom tooth extraction in such a case can help preserve oral and overall health and prevent further jawbone deterioration.
Pericoronitis– It refers to the infection of the operculum or gum tissue overlapping the wisdom tooth by colonizing bacteria and plaque. When there are repeated episodes of this infection, the wisdom tooth must be removed.
How To Prepare For Removal of Wisdom Teeth?
- Do not smoke or drink alcohol for at least a day before the surgery.
- If having nausea or vomiting or cold reschedule the appointment.
- Make necessary arrangements for recovery at home including getting medications, buying soft foods, and even taking off from work.
Procedure Wisdom Tooth Extraction
Prior to wisdom tooth surgery, the patient is provided with local anesthesia or IV sedation to profoundly numb around the tooth so that the procedure is performed completely painlessly. The extraction is done by first pushing the gum tissues back to have access to the problematic wisdom tooth and then elevating the tooth out. Depending upon the severity of impacting or crowding of the tooth, the method of removal may somewhat be different. Sometimes, little bone shaving is done around the tooth and then sectioned into small pieces to be effectively removed completely. Lastly, the gum incision is closed by self-dissolving sutures.
Post-Op Instructions/ Post-Treatment Care
- Avoid mouth rinsing and spitting for the first 12-24 hours.
- Stick on a healthy soft diet for the first few days. Avoid any hard, crunchy, chewy, or sticky foods as well as hot, fizzy drinks for the first few days.
- Place a clean gauze on the extraction site and bite onto it to reduce bleeding. If it continues and is profuse, notify the concerned dentist immediately.
- Avoid smoking for at least a week.
- Refrain from exercises for a few days.
At TDS The Dental Specialist, our team of dental experts helps one to achieve healthy dental health with the safe removal of wisdom teeth.
To know more about the cost of wisdom tooth removal in Chicago, schedule an appointment at TDS The Dental Specialist.